Home Remedies for Dandruff
Home Remedies for Dandruff
1. Yogurt and Pepper:
• Take ¼ tsp of black pepper powder.
• Add the resultant to one cup of yogurt (curd).
• Mix it completely and apply on the scalp (make sure you apply only on the scalp and not on the hair).
• Leave it undisturbed for an hour and then rinse. Use a mild shampoo after that. Ensure that the yogurt and pepper you use are fresh
2. Olive Oil:
• Before going to bed, massage your scalp with warm olive oil every alternate day.
• Cleanse your hair with a mild shampoo the next morning.
• Make sure you cover your head with a cotton wrap (to prevent your oily hair from attracting dust).
· Ensure the olive oil is just warm and not too hot.
• Olive oil, especially when warm, has a better consistency and can effectively treat a dry and flaky scalp.
Vinegar is capable of killing scalp fungus and bacteria. It also helps in treating dry skin and reducing dandruff not caused by fungus. The acid content in vinegar reduces the itchiness of the scalp and drastically brings down flaking.
• Gently massage your scalp with vinegar. Make sure the massage is deep and not superficial.
• You can also add one tablespoon of vinegar in the last mug of water while –washing your hair.
• Ensure the vinegar doesn't get inside your eyes.
• The best way to use the mixture is to first boil two cups of vinegar. After letting it cool, mix 1/8th of vinegar to 1 cup of water and use before shampooing your hair.
4. Baking Soda:
The baking soda scrub is a mild exfoliant which helps remove dead skin. Excess oil on the scalp (another reason for dandruff) can also be reduced with the help of baking soda.
• Add one teaspoon of baking soda to your shampoo and wash your hair as usual.
• The flakes stuck to your scalp should get removed mostly with just a single wash.
Baking soda helps remove dead skin, and your scalp eventually begins to produce natural oils.
4. Fenugreek or Methi
Fenugreek or methi seeds can also help reduce the occurrence of dandruff. It has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties which help banish the white flakes.
• Soak 2 tbsp methi seeds in water overnight.
• Grind them into a paste in the morning.
• Add 1 cup apple cider vinegar to the paste and apply on your scalp.
• Leave it for 30 minutes and then wash off with mild shampoo.
• This will help relive itchy and dry scalp too.
• Rub lemon slices on your scalp and leave for 10-15 minutes.
6. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera gel is effective in keeping dandruff in-check. Apart from its anti-fungal properties, it also is soothing to the scalp and keeps itching at bay. Aloe vera gel also has several benefits for your skin and health.
• You can either scoop out gel from aloe plant or use gel sold in stores.
• Simply massage it on your scalp and let it stay for 30 minutes.
• Make sure your hair isn't oiled.
• Wash with plain water or mild shampoo.
• People who have dry, frizzy hair can simply do away with washing it off too for a day.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar:
Apple Cider Vinegar is available in any major departmental store or super market. Vinegar is an active agent in fighting fungus.
• Mix one part of apple cider vinegar with equal part of water and keep aside.
• Wash your hair normally and then apply the mixture to wet hair.
• Massage your scalp thoroughly with this mixture. Make sure it does not get in to your eyes. Leave it on for 15 minutes and rinse off with water. Repeat it daily for about a week and say bye-bye to dandruff.