Dr Sakshi Seth, BHMS, GGSIP University (BHMC)
PCOS is disorder of endocrine system. It is believed that hormonal imbalances and genetics play an essential role in this condition. This disorder is characterised by excessive androgen production by the ovaries mainly.
PCOS is multifactorial and polygenic condition.
It is prevalent in young reproductive age group (20-30%). But polyscystoc ovary may be seen in about 20% of normal women.
Types of PCOS -
• Insulin Ressistance PCOS.
• Inflammatory PCOS.
• Hidden Cause PCOS.
• Pill Induced PCOS.
Clinical Features - Patient complaining of increasing obesity (abdominal 50%), menstrual abnormailities (70%) in the form of oligomen-orrhoea, amenorrhoea or Dub or infertility.
Presence of Hirsutism and acne.
Acanthyosis nigricans characterised by specific skin changes due to insulin resistance. Skin is thickened, pigmented commonly affected sites are nape of neck, axilla, inner thighs and groins.
• Sonography - TVS mainly useful for obese patient. Enlarged ovaries seen (>/10cm3).
• Increases number of (>12) peripherally arranged cysts (2-9mm).
• Serum values - LH LEVEL Elevated.
• Raised level of estradiol and estrone.
• Raised serum testosterone (>150ng/dl)
• Insulin resistance.
Pathophysiology - Exact cause is unknown, but it may be discussed under following heads -
A. Hypothalamic pituatary compartment in pcos.
B. Androgen excess.
D. Obesity & insulin resistance.
E. Long term consequences.
Role of homoeopathy in PCOS -
Although the correct treatment of pcos Is totally based upon the strict principles of homoeopathy and individualisation. Here we can discuss few medicines which can help the pcos patient, but the cure is totally dependent up on the correction in lifestyle of the patient with good and healthy diet.
• SECALE COR - Mense irregular, copious, dark; continuous oozing of watery blood till the next period.
Passive hemorrhages in feeble, cachetic women.
• APIS MEL - Metrorrhagia profuse, with heaviness of the abdomen, faintness and stinging pain. Ovarian tumors ( cysts), metritis with stinging pains. Great tenderness in the abdomen, over the uterine region.
• SABINA-Menses profuse, bright. Discharge of blood between periods ( Metrorrhagia), with sexual excitement. Menorrhagia in women who abort readily. Pain from sacrum to pubis and from below upwards, shooting up the vagina. Hemorrhage; partly clotted; worse from least motion. Atony of uterus.
• PHOSPHORUS - Slight hemorrhage from uterus between periods ( Metorrhagia ). Menses too early and scanty, not profuse, but last too long. Weeps before menses. Uterine polyps.
Suited to females who are oversensitive to external impressions. Easily vexed. Fearfulness, Clairvoyant state. Hyposensitive, indifferent.
• LACHESIS - Suited to females with great loquacity. Amative. Jealous. Suspicious.
Menses too short, too feeble, pains all elieved by the flow. Left ovary very painful and swollen, Indurated. Worse after sleep, left side, in the spring, warm bath, pressure or constriction, hot drinks. Better appearance of discharges, warm applications.